Friday, May 25, 2012

design for social impact

Just a quick update on why the blog, tumblr and even twitter are all so silently this week. I'm at StartingBloc (www.startingbloc.org) a fellowship for social enterprise. As a former organizer/nonprofit kid who is now refocusing on design, I was a bit hesitant about my role in this community. Today I stood up in front of the group of 80-odd people and gave my pitch about design for good. I was shocked to have at least four people stand up after me to also make pitches concerning user centered or community design. Additionally, many people who aren't involved in design later came up to me to talk more about the role of design in social change making. My 60 second pitch barely scratched the surface so it is thrilling to see such a deep well of support for design exists and is understood in the social impact arena. More to come once I am home!

No comments: