Thursday, November 3, 2011

recipe: my mother's pumpkin muffins

As soon I saw canned pumpkin in the store, I swooped up several cans, thinking not of pie but of my mother's delicious pumpkin muffins. They are perfect for enjoying a taste of fall all through Thanksgiving and even up to Christmas. Bake regular muffins for yourself or miniature muffins to take as treats to coworkers, friends and family.




Pumpkin Muffins
Dry ingredients:
1 2/3 cup flour
1 ½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Optional: 1/3 cup raisins or walnuts

Wet ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 generous cup canned pumpkin

Combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. Add dry until blended.

Bake in greased muffin tins (or with liners) at 350 until golden brown. My mother’s recipe says 35 but she told me to check earlier. I took them out at 30 minutes, but they could have even used about two minutes less. For miniature muffins, bake 15 min.

Makes about 18 muffins. I made a dozen regular and a dozen minis. 

*I didn't have pumpkin pie spice, but figured I could google a substitute. I used this one

No comments: