Thursday, October 29, 2009

grandma's recipe

I just got off the craziest couple of weeks of work that hopefully I'll have all year (yeah, right...) I was able to sneak in a visit to my grandmother and while there she gave me the recipe for her snickerdoodles. Since I'm off today to San Francisco to visit the bf, I decided to make them last night. An emergency trip to to Kroger's for shortening and cream of tarter and I was set. (My eggs were past the 'best by' date but looked fine and even after eating cookies last night, I'm fine!)

Mummum's Snickerdoodles
Mix together thoroughly
1 cup soft shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift together and stir in
2 3/4 cups sifted flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt

Chill dough. Roll into balls the size of small walnuts. Roll in mixture of 2 T sugar and 2 t cinnamon.
Place 2" apart on ungreased basking sheets.
Bake at 400, until lightly browned, but still soft (about 8-10 minutes)
Makes about 2.5 dozen cookies

I pretty much followed the recipe except I didn't chill the dough and used both 2T sugar AND 2T cinnamon in the topping, which turned out fine. The dough did get really crumbly at the end, so I think it should definitely be chilled.

Managed to burn the bottoms of one set, but still have plenty to take with me and leave with my roomie. The recipe also doubles easily.

No comments: