Tuesday, September 29, 2009

know your farmer, know your food

I promise to keep this blog from being too political (read: I keep my thoughts on the leaked draft of the Boxer-Kerry climate bill to myself) but since food is a big part of what I write about, I did want to share this.

The USDA just launched their website "Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food" with the mission of creating "new economic opportunities by better connecting consumers with local producers. It is also the start of a national conversation about the importance of understanding where your food comes from and how it gets to your plate." The website provides links to find your local farmers market and provides details on various programs run by the USDA. Sadly, the selling point of the 'interactive' website isn't up yet. The website claims to be "the start of a national dialogue between the USDA and you" but the Stories and Ideas section isn't up yet.

One thing I am in complete agreement with is that "
there is too much distance between the average American and their farmer." I do wonder how much this is truly going to change the operations of the USDA and how famers recieve government subsidies. Of course that does not all lie with the USDA either, so these are clearly complicated issues and I applaud the USDA for working to promote local foods and small farmers.

No comments: